Join Luke Tscharke and Jay Evans on an exciting astrophotography workshop based in Glen Davis in the Capertee Valley, 135km north-west of Sydney. You will be treated to two nights of dedicated astrophotography coaching and tuition, not only in the field during capture but also back at our accommodation for post processing sessions. This workshop is designed to help you take your astrophotography to the next level. All accommodation and food and drink will be provided (some conditions apply).
Whilst we can’t guarantee clear skies to capture the stars (keep your fingers crossed!), the open farmland, forests, and surrounding valley wall of the Capertee Valley have many amazing compositions. As if that wasn’t enough we have also been granted full exclusive night-time access to the amazing 1940s Shale Oil refinery ruins at Glen Davis! The area is absolutely stunning and provides a magnificent backdrop to the weekend’s activities.
- The historic Glen Davis Works Ruins (including guided tour)
- Capertee Valley
- Glen Davis & Surrounds
- On-location coaching
- Image post-processing classes
|DATES:||Friday August 2nd 2019 to Sunday August 4th 2019|
|WORKSHOP STARTS:||Glen Davis, Capertee Valley, NSW, Australia|
|GROUP SIZE:||Maximum 11 participants, minimum 8|
|FITNESS LEVEL:||A moderate level of fitness is required as some bushwalking may be involved|
|INCLUSIONS:||Price includes all food, accommodation, on-location instruction, classroom and image processing classes. Does not include ground transport or airfares.|
WHAT TO EXPECT – CAPERTEE VALLEY
The workshop will take place in one of the most stunning and remote mountain and valley areas of New South Wales. Known locally as the “Grand Canyon”, the Capertee Valley is the worlds second largest canyon and is skirted by world heritage listed Wollemi and Gardens of Stone National Parks, and high sandstone walls making it a spectacular location for astro and landscape photography. As part of the workshop, we have been granted exclusive access to the ruins of the Glen Davis works, a 1940s Shale Oil Refinery that used to produce wartime heating oil for Sydney from the coal shale mined within the valley walls.
- WEATHER: When attending the workshop, you will need to be prepared as temperatures at night while we shoot will possibly drop below freezing, so warm layered clothing is a necessity including gloves and headwear.
- MOBILE RECEPTION: Glen Davis is also a remote area with limited to no mobile reception. Once in Glen Davis it is highly likely you will not be contactable. The weekend for the most part will be a digital detox, devoid of social media and contact with the outside world. This weekend should be treated as “offline time”. If it is critical that you require phone reception please bear this in mind when booking this workshop.
- MEALS: Food and drink will be provided for the weekend, except for lunch on the first day which will be purchased by the participants. Meals will include a help yourself breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks during post-processing sessions. If you have any special dietary requirements, please ensure you let us know when you book. No alcohol will be provided and we ask anyone bringing their own to be mindful of fellow participants and our night shooting safety principles. Participants may need to purchase their own lunch on the first day.
- ROOM CONFIGURATION: There are several rooms available in our cottage accommodation in either single, shared singles or doubles. All linen and towels are included. The workshop is advertised at a twin share rate, single supplement will be charged at an extra rate.
WHAT TO BRING
The workshop will take place in a remote valley west of Sydney. You will need to be well prepared as we will be accessing areas in the dark, and the temperatures may be very cold.
- Head torch (with new batteries)
- Spare Torch
- Warm layered clothing suitable for sub zero temperatures (incl gloves and headwear)
- Lenses suitable for astrophotography (feel free to contact Luke or Jay for advice)
- Remote timer for camera
- Sturdy Tripod
- Water Bottle
OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED ITEMS
- Laptop (to get the most out of the post processing sessions)
- We recommend using Adobe Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC to make the most from our post-processing training.
- Note: Due to limited mobile phone/data/Internet availability in Glen Davis, we ask that Laptops be installed and updated with the latest versions of your post-processing software prior to arrival.